Open Heaven 14 August 2019 Devotional – We Would See Jesus, written by Pastor E. A. Adeboye
TOPIC: We Would See Jesus
MEMORISE: “The same came therefore to Philip, which was of Bethsaida of Galilee, and desired him, saying, Sir, will would see Jesus.” – (John 12:21)
READ: John 12:15-23 (KJV)
15. Fear not, daughter of Sion; behold, thy King cometh, sitting on an ass’s colt.
16. These things understood not his disciples at the first; but when Jesus was glorified, then remembered they that these things were written of him, and that they had done these things unto him.
17. The people therefore that was with him when he called Lazarus out of his grave, and raised him from the dead, bare record.
18. For this cause the people also met him, for that they heard that he had done this miracle.
19. The Pharisees therefore said among themselves, Perceive ye how ye prevail nothing? behold, the world is gone after him.
20. And there were certain Greeks among them that came up to worship at the feast;
21. The same came therefore to Philip, which was of Bethsaida of Galilee, and desired him, saying, Sir, we would see Jesus.
22. Philip cometh and telleth Andrew; and again Andrew and Philip tell Jesus.
23. And Jesus answered them, saying, The hour is come, that the Son of man should be glorified.
Open Heaven 14 August 2019 Devotional – MESSAGE:
Philip’s action following the request of the Greeks who wanted to see Jesus brings to mind the general restrictive attitude of the disciples whenever anyone sought to have an audience with the Lord. The very ones who were supposed to make Jesus accessible to everyone did their best at different times to keep people away from Him. They forbade children from Him in Luke 9:12, and in Mathew 15:23, they told Jesus to chase away the Syro-Phoenician woman who came to get help for her daughter.
Two of His disciples, James and John, even try to call down fire on those who hindered their way (Luke 9:54). Why were the disciples so protective of Jesus, to the point of being hostile to some of those who wanted to have access to him? They were obviously very protective of Jesus, probably thinking he was too busy to be disturbed with what they considered to be petty issues. I may not have the exact answer to the question, but I can authoritatively tell you one thing: whatever you do, don’t let any “disciple” keep you away from Jesus! Don’t allow anyone prevent you from getting your miracle. Every disciple of Jesus Christ should consciously avoid speech or action that would keep anybody away from him.
After Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead, His acceptance and popularity among the people seems to reach its peak, resulting in His triumphant entry into Jerusalem. This also caused the plot to murder Him by the Jewish religious leaders to reach its climax. It was against this background that the Greeks who sought Jesus visited Jerusalem for the imminent Passover feast. They must have witnessed Christ’s triumphant entry into Jerusalem, and would have heard that He was the promised Messiah from the tribe of Judah. They would also have heard the rumors making the rounds that He was to take possession of David’s throne and reign as king of the Jews.
Open Heaven 14 August 2019 Devotional by Pastor E. A. Adeboye
The expectation at that time was that something of great importance, not only to the Jewish nation, but the whole world, was about to take place, and they were right. At the time Christ knew He was approaching the consummation of His ministry here on earth. Therefore, when He heard the eager cry of the Greeks said to Philip, “Sir, we would see Jesus”, He immediately knew in His Spirit that the time has come for Him to be glorified through His death and resurrection.
Their enquiry confirmed to Him that the sacrificial offering would bring all those who believe in Him all over the world into perfect harmony with God. God’s kingdom was about to be perfected and extended throughout the whole earth. The desire of these Greeks, therefore, prompted the commencement of His voluntary self-sacrifice (John 12:27). I pray that your effort to see Jesus will yield positive results beginning from today in Jesus’ Name.
PRAYER POINT: Father, please don’t let my speech or action keep anyone away from you, in Jesus’ Name.
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: 1 Samuel 15-16, Ezekiel 33:21-33
Thanks for reading Open Heaven 14 August 2019 Devotional – We Would See Jesus, written by Pastor E. A. Adeboye. Please share with others.
RCCG Fasting And Prayer Points6 days ago
RCCG November 2019 30 Days Fasting Prayer Points
DCLM Daily Manna7 days ago
DCLM Daily Manna 6 November 2019 – Armour Of Light
DCLM Daily Manna5 days ago
DCLM Daily Manna 8 November 2019 Devotional – Unfailing Cruse
Billy Graham7 days ago
Billy Graham Devotions 6 November 2019 – God Made You
Joel Osteen Daily Devotional5 days ago
Joel Osteen 7 November 2019 Devotional – Who You Are