Open Heaven 17 August 2019 Devotional – Counting The Cost, written by Pastor E. A. Adeboye.
TODAY’S TOPIC: COUNTING THE COST
MEMORISE: “For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?” – (Luke 14:28)
READ: Hebrews 11:8-16 (KJV)
8. By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.
9. By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise;
10. For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.
11. Through faith also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age, because she judged him faithful who had promised.
12. Therefore sprang there even of one, and him as good as dead, so many as the stars of the sky in multitude, and as the sand which is by the sea shore innumerable.
13. These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.
14. For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country.
15. And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned.
16. But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly; wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God; for he hath prepared for them a city.
Open Heaven 17 August 2019 Devotional – MESSAGE:
Our Lord Jesus Christ did not impulsively come to earth to die for our sins; He carefully considered all it would cost Him to accomplish this difficult task (Hebrews 10:5-7). He considered the cost of leaving His throne in heaven, with an innumerable company of angels as His beck and call, to live on earth as one having nowhere to lay His head (Luke 9:58). He considered the agony of rejection He would go through at the hands of those He came to save. He considered the sorrow of having those He healed, cleansed and raised back to life crying “Crucify Him!” Above all, He considered the pain of becoming sin, hanging on a cross and being separated from His Father.
Shedding more light on this, the Holy Spirit says in Philippians 2:5-8
“Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.”
Having considered the cost of all this and much more, Jesus still chose to go through it all because of the joy of our salvation that was set before Him (Hebrews 12:3). What a wonderful Saviour we have! The Holy Spirit is admonishing us to have the same mind, which counts the cost of a task before undertaking it.
Today: Open Heaven 17 August 2019 Devotional
The lives of many Bible characters also reflect the principle of counting the cost. Abraham is one example; he never once thought of going back to his native country after leaving it. He properly understood God’s instructions and followed through without looking back. Also, the four Hebrew boys were well aware of what was at stake the moment they got to Babylon.
They quickly counted the cost, and in Daniel 1:8, we are told that Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego made a commitment to God that cost them the right to the king’s delicacies. Because they had counted the cost and made a firm commitment to follow through, they dared the fiery furnace and the lion’s den. The good news is that when we make up our minds with a strong commitment to serve the Lord at all costs, it attracts great rewards from heaven. Count the cost of going all the way with Jesus, surrendering all to Him and living holy, and then make a firm commitment to serve God, no matter what it takes.
ACTION POINT: Restate your firm commitment to the Lord Jesus Christ and to the cause of His kingdom.
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: 1 Samuel 20:21, Ezekiel 34:25-35:15
Thanks for reading Open Heaven 17 August 2019 Devotional – Counting The Cost, written by Pastor E. A. Adeboye. Please share with others.