Open Heaven 19 August 2019 – Divine Wisdom And Understanding, written by Pastor E. A. Adeboye
Today’s Topic: Divine Wisdom And Understanding
MEMORISE: “Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this thy so great a people?” – (1 Kings 3:9)
READ: 1 Kings 3:15-28 (KJV)
15. And Solomon awoke; and, behold, it was a dream. And he came to Jerusalem, and stood before the ark of the covenant of the LORD, and offered up burnt offerings, and offered peace offerings, and made a feast to all his servants.
16. Then came there two women, that were harlots, unto the king, and stood before him.
17. And the one woman said, O my lord, I and this woman dwell in one house; and I was delivered of a child with her in the house.
18. And it came to pass the third day after that I was delivered, that this woman was delivered also; and we were together; there was no stranger with us in the house, save we two in the house.
19. And this woman’s child died in the night; because she overlaid it.
20. And she arose at midnight, and took my son from beside me, while thine handmaid slept, and laid it in her bosom, and laid her dead child in my bosom.
21. And when I rose in the morning to give my child suck, behold, it was dead; but when I had considered it in the morning, behold, it was not my son, which I did bear.
22. And the other woman said, Nay; but the living is my son, and the dead is thy son. And this said, No; but the dead is thy son, and the living is my son. Thus they spake before the king.
23. Then said the king, The one saith, This is my son that liveth, and thy son is the dead; and the other saith, Nay; but thy son is the dead, and my son is the living.
24. And the king said, Bring me a sword. And they brought a sword before the king.
25. And the king said, Divide the living child in two, and give half to the one, and half to the other.
26. Then spake the woman whose the living child was unto the king, for her bowels yearned upon her son, and she said, O my lord, give her the living child, and in no wise slay it. But the other said, Let it be neither mine nor thine, but divide it.
27. Then the king answered and said, Give her the living child, and in no wise slay it; she is the mother thereof.
28. And all Israel heard of the judgment which the king had judged; and they feared the king; for they saw that the wisdom of God was in him, to do judgment.
MESSAGE: Open Heaven 19 August 2019
A person who possesses competence in knowledge and skill has great potential to succeed in life. When such competency is derived from God, it is referred to as divine understanding. Succeeding in life is all about recognizing and utilizing the opportunities God brings our way, coupled with making the right choices in life. A person endowed with divine understanding is, therefore, able to excel in life because he or she has the ability to discern what is true, ethically right and sound, based on God’s word. God alone possesses wisdom and understanding in the absolute sense, and He gives these to those who seek them from Him with a humble heart.
In relation to people, divine wisdom refers to the abilities God gives in every area of life, including craftsmanship, knowledge and insight for right decisions. Divine wisdom cannot be received by those who confidence is based of human cleverness and insight without God’s revelation. This kind of human wisdom may produce temporary success in life, but often comes to nought in the long run (1 Corinthians 3:19-20).
Understanding is built on the foundation of knowledge and the ability to use it correctly. These are different ways God imparts understanding to a person. For example, understanding can be received in the place of observing how others live or do things (Proverbs 24:30-32). It can also be acquired through studying God’s word and His wondrous works in the universe (Psalm 119:130, Job 37:14-20).
Understanding can also come from parental guidance or as a result of practical experiences in life (Proverbs 4:1-5). Above all, it can be received through the impartation of God’s Spirit in the place of prayer, as it happened to Solomon (1 Kings 3, Ephesians 1:15-18).
Today: Open Heaven 19 August 2019 by Pastor E. A. Adeboye
Worldly wisdom and understanding build pride and false hope in people, who go on to arrogate success in life to themselves and not to the Almighty God. This folly has led to the downfall of many people and kingdoms all over the world, as seen in the example of Babylon in Isaiah 47:10-11.
No wonder Proverbs 26:12 says: “Seest thou a man wise in his own conceit? there is more hope of a fool than of him.”
Furthermore, in Isaiah 29:14, the Bible says worldly wisdom shall perish. The people of this world can never receive the wisdom of God. Divine understanding is only accessible to those who are willing to give up their reliance on human insight in exchange for God’s wisdom (1 Corinthians 2:14-15). May the Lord fill you with divine understanding today in Jesus’ Name.
Father, please fill my heart with divine understanding today in Jesus’ Name.
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: 1 Samuel 24-25, Ezekiel 36:16-32
Thanks for reading Open Heaven 19 August 2019 – Divine Wisdom And Understanding, written by Pastor E. A. Adeboye. Please share with someone.