Scripture Union Daily Guide 12th June 2020 – Beware of Misconception And Vengeance
TODAY’S TOPIC: BEWARE OF MISCONCEPTION AND VENGEANCE
Opening Prayer: Grant me grace dear Lord to apply what you will teach me today as I read this passage. – 2
SCRIPTURE: 2 Samuel 3:22 ─ 39
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
Today’s Outline: Scripture Union Daily Guide 12th June 2020
The divinely orchestrated peace–building initiatives between the warring factions of Saul’s waning dynasty led by Abner, and David’s uprising reign over Israel (as seen in yesterday’s passage) is being threatened through another misguided leader, Joab (David’s loyalist and military commander). Joab misinterpreted the intent of Abner’s visit, and the manner in which David had responded (vv.23–25).
Observe the actions and motivation for Joab’s actions in vv.26, 27, 30. Undermining leadership authority and the need for proper consultations, Joab took the law into his hands. To revenge his brother Asahel’s death, he plotted and murdered Abner, who was all the way out to mobilize for the common good of the nation.
Scripture warns us not to engage or even entertain vengeance in any form, because, that is God’s prerogative (Romans 12:19). Observe David’s innocence, actions and response to Joab’s acts in vv.26b,28, 29, 31–39. By his godly disposition and graceful acts, David averted the threats posed by Joab’s callous acts that could have truncated the fledgling and fragile peace–building process for the unification of the kingdom.
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• So What? Distrusts and mistrusts are the bane of every ongoing peace–building and reconciliation initiatives. What are specific ways you can help build trust to facilitate reconciliation and peaceful coexistence, and minimise the tendency for vengeance?
• Lord, grant me a graceful heart to forgive past offences, and be a bridge builder for peaceful coexistence, and healthy social integration among warring communities.
• Pray for Christian writers, artistes and producers.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Genesis 12:3a
Read the Bible in one Year: Jer. 22–23; Matt. 24:29–51
Thanks for reading today’s Scripture Union Daily Guide 12th June 2020 – Beware of Misconception And Vengeance. Please share this with other people.