Scripture Union Daily Guide 15th June 2020 – Divine Guidance for Every Battle
TODAY’S TOPIC: DIVINE GUIDANCE FOR EVERY BATTLE
Opening Prayer: Lord, let the light of your word shine into my life as I meditate on your word.
Scripture: 2 Samuel 5:17–25
17 But when the Philistines heard that they had anointed David king over Israel, all the Philistines came up to seek David; and David heard of it, and went down to the hold.
18 The Philistines also came and spread themselves in the valley of Rephaim.
19 And David enquired of the Lord, saying, Shall I go up to the Philistines? wilt thou deliver them into mine hand? And the Lord said unto David, Go up: for I will doubtless deliver the Philistines into thine hand.
20 And David came to Baalperazim, and David smote them there, and said, The Lord hath broken forth upon mine enemies before me, as the breach of waters. Therefore he called the name of that place Baalperazim.
21 And there they left their images, and David and his men burned them.
22 And the Philistines came up yet again, and spread themselves in the valley of Rephaim.
23 And when David enquired of the Lord, he said, Thou shalt not go up; but fetch a compass behind them, and come upon them over against the mulberry trees.
24 And let it be, when thou hearest the sound of a going in the tops of the mulberry trees, that then thou shalt bestir thyself: for then shall the Lord go out before thee, to smite the host of the Philistines.
25 And David did so, as the Lord had commanded him; and smote the Philistines from Geba until thou come to Gazer.
Reflection (Scripture Union Daily Guide 15th June 2020)
• What does the passage teach about God the Father, God the Son or God the Holy Spirit?
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• What is God revealing to me in this passage?
Outline: Scripture Union Daily Guide 15th June 2020
Note that David’s anointing and enthronement as king over Israel brought him and the kingdom new challenges from their archenemy, the Philistines (vv.17, 18, 22). How did David face these new challenges? See vv.19, 20, 22–25.
Observe the following actions of David in handling the challenges. David was informed of the enemy’s ploy ─ v.17 David moved into a strategically defended territory ─ v.17 David inquired of the Lord for guidance and for divine help ─ vv.19 and 23.
Note particularly that for each attack of the enemy, David did not presume on previous experiences to face the enemy, but on each occasion, he inquired of the Lord, and got a new and different strategy for his approach against the enemy (Proverbs 3:5,6).
David followed the divine instructions received with precision ─ vv.19b,20a,23–25. The outcome of David’s actions to the challenges posed by his enemies was a resounding victory over them. Alongside the strategic instructions for David’s actions (faith and works ─ James 2:17,24), was God’s own personal involvement in the battle that guaranteed the victory for David (vv.19b, 24). Notice his response to God’s involvement in the victories he got (v.20b).
• So What? Be aware that the enemy can assault us at any moment, especially, when we have new opportunities to serve God’s people. Whatever the challenges may be, let us seek the Lord’s guidance and intervention.
Today’s Prayer Points:
• Lord, help me seek, trust and obey you in all of my life’s endeavours.
• Thank God for His love, making the way for the gospel train to keep moving on in spite of oppositions. Pray against laws in Europe, U.S.A. and Canada that are repressing Christians, under the false guise of freedom, diversity and inclusiveness.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Genesis 17:4a
Read the Bible in one Year: Jer. 30–31; Matt. 26: 1–25
Thanks for reading Today’s Scripture Union Daily Guide 15th June 2020 – Divine Guidance for Every Battle.Please share this with other people.