Scripture Union Daily Guide Sunday 9th August 2020 – God Is Gracious
TODAY’S TOPIC: GOD IS GRACIOUS
OPENING PRAYER: Dear Lord, grant me understanding and illumination as I ponder on your word in Jesus name.
SCRIPTURE: Psalm 106:1 ─ 23
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• What is God revealing to me in this passage?
TODAY’S OUTLINE: DAILY GUIDE SUNDAY 9TH AUGUST 2020
This Psalm was a history of God’s goodness to Israel and a summary of how depraved man could become. The Psalmist looks back to their history and draw the conclusion, “we have sinned?we have done wrong and acted wickedly” (v.6). We must give glory to God by making confession, not only of his goodness of our own sinfulness.
In the light of his goodness our sinfulness becomes much more dreadful and scandalous. Observe that amid God’s favours on Israel, they: 1. Failed to remember his kindness (v.7a). 2. Failed to understand the significance of the mighty miracles wrought on their behalf (v.7b)
3. Rebelled against him (v.7c). God demonstrated his sovereign power and dominion above all the gods of Egypt to instruct and convict his people and to purge them of their inclination to follow Egyptian idolatry. Sometimes we fail to see God’s good intention towards us and so we grumble and crave for things that have no lasting value (vv.13–15).
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• And so: What lesson(s) do you draw from the Psalmist identifying himself with the sins of his ancestors (v.6)?
The common problem that mankind faces is sin and its consequences. Sin is part of human nature and so cannot be avoided. The Almighty Father made Jesus Christ to be sin though He was sinless so that anybody who believes in Christ can receive total forgiveness and new life. When any man receives Christ into his heart, he becomes a new creation, the sin dominated old life is taken away, and a new life begins in righteousness, holiness and purity.
• O Lord, grant me grace that I will always be mindful of your goodness and mercies towards me. May I never take these for granted.
• Thank God for Jesus who by His death on the cross, took away our curse and granted us access into the blessings of Abraham.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Colossians 2:15
Read the Bible in one Year
Psalms 79–80; Acts 28
Thanks for reading Today’s Scripture Union Daily Guide Sunday 9th August 2020 – God Is Gracious. Please share this with other people.