DCLM Daily Manna 14th August 2020 Devotional – Loving God Truly by Pastor W. F. kumuyi
TODAY’S TOPIC: LOVING GOD TRULY
TEXT: Luke 14:25-35
25. And there went great multitudes with him; and he turned, and said unto them,
26. If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
27. And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.
28. For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?
29. Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him,
30. Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish. DCLM Daily Manna 14th August 2020 Devotional
31. Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand?
32. Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace.
33. So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.
34. Salt is good; but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be seasoned?
35. It is neither fit for the land, nor yet for the dunghill; but men cast it out. He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.
KEY VERSE: “If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.” – (Luke 14:26)
MESSAGE: DCLM Daily Manna 14th August 2020 Devotional
Many are quick to profess their love for God. They put up a public show of it in the way they dress; in the manner of their speech and in their dietary preferences.
They present themselves as God’s favourite children; regular in church services and dutiful in meeting all their religious obligations. And they conclude that this is all that is needed by God! Nothing can be farther from the truth. God’s standard is much higher and He expects everyone to faithfully abide by it.
Great multitudes had followed Jesus Christ. Knowing their hidden motives for coming, He made one of the most remarkable statements in the gospel. He told them that those who would follow Him and become His disciples must love God far above everyone else – parents, spouse and children.
They must, above all, love God more than they love themselves. And they must also be prepared to make far-reaching sacrifices; to bear their cross. Discipleship demands that they forget about their achievements and personal preferences, to follow Christ. That is the only way they can be useful in the kingdom of God. He expects they would be wise, listen and obey His words.
Those who pretend to follow Christ just to satisfy some ulterior motives or personal cravings, such as people’s commendation or praises or using same as a means to deceive unsuspecting members of the public, do so at their own peril. They will receive the reward for their insincerity. God is not mocked.
Jesus is calling us here not to make empty profession of our love for Him but to demonstrate this by our actions. We must come to Christ without any hidden agenda, or self-serving motive. Our only concern should be to follow the footsteps of Christ and work for the expansion of the Kingdom.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: True discipleship matters only when it serves one interest: Christ’s.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: Job 11-14
Thanks for reading Today’s DCLM Daily Manna 14th August 2020 Devotional – Loving God Truly by Pastor W. F. kumuyi. Please share this topic with other people.