Open Heaven 19th August 2020 Devotional – Jesus’ Circle Of Friends by Pastor E. A. Adeboye
TODAY’S TOPIC: JESUS’ CIRCLE OF FRIENDS
MEMORISE: “Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.” – (John 15:14)
READ: John 11:11-36 (KJV)
11. These things said he; and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.
12. Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.
13. Howbeit Jesus spake of his death; but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.
14. Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.
15. And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, to the intent ye may believe; nevertheless let us go unto him.
16. Then said Thomas, which is called Didymus, unto his fellowdisciples, Let us also go, that we may die with him.
17. Then when Jesus came, he found that he had lain in the grave four days already.
18. Now Bethany was nigh unto Jerusalem, about fifteen furlongs off;
19. And many of the Jews came to Martha and Mary, to comfort them concerning their brother.
Open Heaven 19th August 2020 Devotional by Pastor Adeboye
20. Then Martha, as soon as she heard that Jesus was coming, went and met him; but Mary sat still in the house.
21. Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.
22. But I know, that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee.
23. Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again.
24. Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.
25. Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life; he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live;
26. And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?
27. She saith unto him, Yea, Lord; I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world.
28. And when she had so said, she went her way, and called Mary her sister secretly, saying, The Master is come, and calleth for thee.
29. As soon as she heard that, she arose quickly, and came unto him.
30. Now Jesus was not yet come into the town, but was in that place where Martha met him.
31. The Jews then which were with her in the house, and comforted her, when they saw Mary, that she rose up hastily and went out, followed her, saying, She goeth unto the grave to weep there.
32. Then when Mary was come where Jesus was, and saw him, she fell down at his feet, saying unto him, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.
33. When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled.
34. And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see.
35. Jesus wept.
36. Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him!
MESSAGE: Open Heaven 19th August 2020 Devotional
It is a great thing to be a disciple of Jesus Christ. It is however even much better to be a disciple and I friend of Jesus at the same time.
In the course of His earthly ministry, Jesus began to develop a more intimate relationship with some of His disciples and he called them friends.
“Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.” – (John 15:13-15)
A classic example of a friend of Jesus is Lazarus. In John 11:11 Jesus said “…Our friend Lazarus sleepeth…” This level of intimacy was emphasized by John 11:35 which says “Jesus wept.” The Lord God helped me to develop such an intimate relationship with Him that I began to see Him as My Daddy and not just Our Father. This offended some people who wondered why I would be calling God Daddy.
If God is their Father and He happens to be my Daddy, what is the problem? My prayer for you today is that the Holy Spirit will assist you to develop a relationship with Him that would give you the boldness to call the Almighty God Daddy in the mighty name of Jesus.
To be admitted into the circle of friends of Jesus, you need to fulfil only one condition as set in John 15:14 “Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.” The moment you begin to walk in obedience to the commandments of God, you have become a friend of Jesus. His commandments are not hard to obey or burdensome to live by. He also promises to give you rest (Matthew 11:28-30).
PRAYER POINT: Father, please help me to be obedient to Your commandments forever, in the mighty name of Jesus.
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: Habakkuk 1-3
Thanks for reading Today’s Open Heaven 19th August 2020 Devotional – Jesus’ Circle Of Friends by Pastor E. A. Adeboye. Please share this topic with other people.