Scripture Union Daily Guide 19th August 2020 – His Love Endures Forever
TODAY’S TOPIC: HIS LOVE ENDURES FOREVER
OPENING PRAYER: Help me to understand the exceeding greatness of your power as I read through this passage, dear Lord.
SCRIPTURE: Psalm 118:1–29
• What does the passage teach about God the Father, God the Son or God the Holy Spirit?
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• Is there any prayer for me to remember?
TODAY’S OUTLINE: DAILY GUIDE 19TH AUGUST 2020
Just as God’s love and faithfulness are steadfast and endure forever, so must our praise never cease. Find three reasons in vv.6–8 why the Psalmist says he is fearless. Fear can make us forget that the Lord loves us and promises never to forsake us (Isaiah 41:10).
The Psalmist resolves not to trust in humans, not even in princes (vv.8,9). Why is this a wise decision? See Jeremiah 17:5,6. People may help us and we may also help others as our Christian duty, but humanity is so unreliable that, “it is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in humans” (v.8).
Three times in vv.10–12, the Psalmist exalts “the name of the Lord”. Find out the power in his name (Proverbs 18:10, Philippians 2:9–10 and Acts 4:12). Indeed, the Lord is our strength, our defence, and our salvation (v.14). With vv.28–29, the Psalmist ended in the same way as he began: praising and exalting the Lord–a beautiful pattern for our prayers. “You are my God . . . I will praise you . . . I will exalt you.” As many times as we can, we must “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.”
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Reflection: God has our best interest at heart and will rouse His infinite power to help us to conform to the image and likeness of His Son
• Can you find a dozen reasons from your personal life why you should praise the Lord and give thanks to him? Turn the list into a praise and thanksgiving prayer.
• Pray for political leaders to know that power belongs to God and, therefore, be willing to work for and uphold free and fair electoral processes and systems.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with John 12:46
Read the Bible In One Year
Psalms 105–106; Gal. 5
Thanks for reading Today’s Scripture Union Daily Guide 19th August 2020 – His Love Endures Forever. Please share this topic with other people.