Scripture Union Daily Guide 6th September 2020 – Beware Of The Money Trap
TODAY’S TOPIC: BEWARE OF THE MONEY TRAP
Opening Prayer: As I read your word O Lord, grant me an insight and grace to do your will in Jesus name.
Today’s Scripture: 1 Timothy 6:1– 10
• Is there any command for me to obey?
• Is there any warning for me to heed?
TODAY’S OUTLINE: Scripture Union Daily Guide 6th September 2020
How is Paul’s advice in vv.1–2 relevant to us today? What is your attitude to work and to your co–workers? Respectful, honest and diligent attitudes to work will enhance our Christian witness, whether we work under unbelieving or believing bosses (See also 1 Peter 2:18–20). The money trap is a reality in our world. Even the church is not spared. People do just anything to get money.
What is responsible for this malady according to vv.9–10? Money is not intrinsically bad or good in itself; it is our attitude to money that can be bad. Money is one of God’s many resources given to us as stewards. But the love of money can trap and lead us away from God.
The love of money has pushed some ministers of God into false teachings, employment of marketing gimmicks and underhanded methods, etc. What is Paul’s warning about those in vv.3–5? Vv.6–8 provide us with the antidote for greed and the money trap. God always provides for our basic needs but if we are not satisfied with that, we open ourselves up to temptations with damning consequences.
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• And So: What is your attitude to money? Remember we can make money our servant or our master (Matthew 6:24).
Singlehood is an unmarried state which is in no way inferior to married life. It offers the possibility of undistracted service to Christ. The unmarried have greater commitment to God unnumbered by family concerns and problems.
Singlehood can be celibacy which is one manner of life for a Christian in service of the kingdom. However, the Bible makes it abundantly clear that those who are not married should maintain sexual purity.
• Dear Lord, I thank you that you are my Shepherd, so I shall not be in want. Help me to be content and always grateful for all you have given me.
• Pray for Christian Ministries that either provide free Bibles or are involved in Bible translation into ethnic languages such as Gideon International, Bible Society of Nigeria, etc.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Isaiah 55:11
Read the Bible in one Year: Judges 1–3; John 2
Thank you for reading Today’s Scripture Union Daily Guide 6th September 2020 – Beware Of The Money Trap