Scripture Union Daily Guide 18th September 2020
TODAY’S TOPIC: NOTHING DONE FOR JESUS WILL GO UNREWARDED
Key Verse: “Sanctify my life dear Lord as I study your word in Jesus name.” 2 Samuel 19:31–43
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• Is there any warning for me to heed?
TODAY’S MESSAGE: Scripture Union Daily Guide 18th September 2020
When the King was in distress, Barzillai willingly offered the help he could render without expecting any reward. Thank God for people who do what is right because it is right and not because they expect any particular gain. In the end, the rewards they obtain extend beyond their lifetime! (Compare 1 Kings 2:7 with Luke 18:29–30).
Read vv.34–37 again. What can we learn from Barzillai about the challenges of the different stages we go through in life? There is indeed time for everything. So, as we grow older, it is good to think about our final end and refrain from worthless pleasures.
With the rebellion of Absalom quashed, people now fell over each other to join the royal procession as the king returned to Jerusalem, even the ones who had flocked to the side of the rebellion (vv.41–43). Is this familiar, especially in our political situation in Africa? And how can we avoid the kind of bickering in these verses between the different groups in our churches today? (See Proverbs 15:1).
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• What Next? There are many who need help around you. Consider how you can help at least one person, today.
• Thank you Lord, for the services and help you have enabled me to give in the past. Please give me grace to give more generously and serve more joyfully.
• Pray that the various efforts at communicating the gospel of Christ will yield immense results in the souls to be won.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Isaiah 43:11
Read The Bible In One Year: Amos 7–9; John 8:1–27
Thank you for reading Today’s Scripture Union Daily Guide 18th September 2020 – Nothing Done For Jesus Will Go Unrewarded