DCLM Daily Manna 24th September 2020 Devotional written by Pastor W.F Kumuyi
TODAY’S TOPIC: PUNISHMENT FOR REBELLIOUS PROPHETS
TEXT: Jeremiah 29:20-32
20. Hear ye therefore the word of the LORD, all ye of the captivity, whom I have sent from Jerusalem to Babylon;
21. Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, of Ahab the son of Kolaiah, and of Zedekiah the son of Maaseiah, which prophesy a lie unto you in my name; Behold, I will deliver them into the hand of Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon; and he shall slay them before your eyes;
22. And of them shall be taken up a curse by all the captivity of Judah which are in Babylon, saying, The LORD make thee like Zedekiah and like Ahab, whom the king of Babylon roasted in the fire;
23. Because they have committed villany in Israel, and have committed adultery with their neighbours’ wives, and have spoken lying words in my name, which I have not commanded them; even I know, and am a witness, saith the LORD.
24. Thus shalt thou also speak to Shemaiah the Nehelamite, saying,
25. Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, saying, Because thou hast sent letters in thy name unto all the people that are at Jerusalem, and to Zephaniah the son of Maaseiah the priest, and to all the priests, saying,
26. The LORD hath made thee priest in the stead of Jehoiada the priest, that ye should be officers in the house of the LORD, for every man that is mad, and maketh himself a prophet, that thou shouldest put him in prison, and in the stocks.
27. Now therefore why hast thou not reproved Jeremiah of Anathoth, which maketh himself a prophet to you?
28. For therefore he sent unto us in Babylon, saying, This captivity is long; build ye houses, and dwell in them; and plant gardens, and eat the fruit of them.
29. And Zephaniah the priest read this letter in the ears of Jeremiah the prophet.
30. Then came the word of the LORD unto Jeremiah, saying,
31. Send to all them of the captivity, saying, Thus saith the LORD concerning Shemaiah the Nehelamite; Because that Shemaiah hath prophesied unto you, and I sent him not, and he caused you to trust in a lie;
32. Therefore thus saith the LORD; Behold, I will punish Shemaiah the Nehelamite, and his seed; he shall not have a man to dwell among this people; neither shall he behold the good that I will do for my people, saith the LORD; because he hath taught rebellion against the LORD.
KEY VERSE: “Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, of Ahab the son of Kolaiah, and of Zedekiah the son of Maaseiah, which prophesy a lie unto you in my name; Behold, I will deliver them into the hand of Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon; and he shall slay them before your eyes.” – Jeremiah 29:21
TODAY’S MESSAGE: DCLM Daily Manna 24th September 2020 Devotional
The spiritual atmosphere for Israel at the time of captivity was really appalling. Most of their spiritual leaders – the priests and prophets like Ahab, the son of Kolaiah and Zedekiah, the son of Maasaiah fouled the spiritual environment the more by declaring false prophecies about the state of Judah and Jerusalem.
They confused and compounded the problems of the captives who needed the balm of truth to initiate the healing process for their spiritually wounded souls. The most high God was offended by the actions of these prophets and resolved to eliminate them in an unusual manner – by roasting them in the fire.
The Lord our God is a Judge and indeed a consuming fire. No man should provoke His wrath. He will avenge Himself of all who oppose and rebel against His will and purpose on earth. God’s wrath also fell on another false prophet – Shemaiah the Nehelamite who deceived the remnants with lies and taught rebellion against God.
The Lord punished him by withdrawing from him the power to produce or raise any male child in Israel. Leaders in the house of God, as well as believers, must take heed to what they do and teach among the congregation because the Lord is the Head and Judge of His house. He will not spare wicked leaders among His people.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: The wicked shall not go unpunished.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: Proverbs 24 – 26
Thank you for reading Today’s DCLM Daily Manna 24th September 2020 Devotional – Punishments For Rebellious Prophets by Pastor W.F Kumuyi