Scripture Union Daily Guide 26th October 2020 Today Devotional
TOPIC: FOR THE SAKE OF MY SERVANT, DAVID
Opening Prayer: Dear Lord, expose me to your truth as I read your word in Jesus name.
Scripture: 1 Kings 11:26–43
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• Is there any warning for me to heed?
MESSAGE: Scripture Union Daily Guide 26th October 2020
Yesterday, we saw the external enemies that the Lord raised against Solomon (vv.14,23). Today, Solomon must also contend with internal rebellion in Israel (v.26).
Ahijah, the prophet, predicted and informed Jeroboam of the soon to come division of the kingdom of Israel (v.30). More noteworthy is the reason given in v.33. The kingdom was going to be divided because of the prevalent idol worship in utter disobedience.
The Lord would however keep his covenant with David (v.36). Notice the way God prepared Jeroboam for the kingship in v.28, and the conditions he had to fulfil (v.38, compare 9:4–5). God’s standard is consistent and impartial. Obeying the Lord means keeping his commandments as well as loving and being loyal to him.
God’s abundant blessings accompany a man who does that as it did David (v.38). Note the futility of Solomon’s attempt to thwart God’s plan (v.40). Saul did much more against David without success. If we are faithful to God, we will have no reason to fight others to retain our position.
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• And so? Solomon’s disobedience brought the downfall of the nation. You must determine to obey God and continue with the good fight to the end.
• Help me O Lord, to be faithful always to my calling.
• Thank God for the effect of witnessing in converting sinners to faith in Christ Jesus; bless His name for your salvation.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Galatians 5:2a
Read The Bible In One Year: 2 Sam. 6-8; 1 John 1
Thank you for reading Today’s Scripture Union Daily Guide 26th October 2020 – For The Sake Of My Servant, David by Pastor D.K Olukoya