Scripture Union Daily Guide 30th November 2020 – My Fierce Anger
You are reading Today’s Scripture Union Daily Guide Devotional for Monday 30th November 2020. Be inspired by today’s reading. God bless you!
TOPIC: MY FIERCE ANGER
Opening Prayer: Oh Lord, grant me divine guidance as I read and meditate on your word in Jesus name.
Scripture: Jeremiah 49:23–39
• What does the passage teach about God the Father, God the Son or God the Holy Spirit?
• What is God revealing to me in this passage?
MESSAGE: Scripture Union Daily Guide 30th November 2020
The Arameans (Syrians) whose capital city is Damascus had a long history of periodic hostility to the Israelites; see 2 Samuel 8:5 and 1 Kings 22:31. See also Amos 1:3–5. Note the enviable position of Damascus, once a delight and joy to God himself. But this position must be ‘defended’.
Rather than making her life a continuing praise to God, she apparently became swollen–headed and forsook God. We cannot indulge in sin and expect God’s grace to continue to cover us (Romans 6:1 & 2). Kedar and the kingdoms of Hazor, most probably Arabs, again misused their opportunity and like Elam, received severe punishments from God.
These judgments are powerful reminders that power is transient, and nothing which the world offers or confers on us should blind us from seeing that God is the ultimate ruler in the world who will someday judge our actions. It is wise in using our privileges and endowments to bear this in mind.
But notice the assurance in v.39, a promise of restoration made to people who deserve severe punishment? God’s punishment is meant to call us to order, designed to cause us to return to him. He does not delight in the death of a sinner. He would rather have us mend our ways and go back to him. See God’s appeal in Isaiah 1:18.
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Reflection: It is dreadful to fall into the hands of the living God! Heb. 10:31(Ber)
• Enable me, dear Lord, to handle all my privileges and responsibilities with gratitude to, and reverential fear of you, the Almighty.
• Pray for CAPRO, CMF and other missionary organizations for provisions and fruitful missions.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Jeremiah 20:13
Read The Bible In One Year: 2 Chron. 25–27; Luke 9:37–62
Thank you for reading Today’s Scripture Union Daily Guide 30th November 2020 – My Fierce Anger