Scripture Union Daily Guide 4th December 2020 – The Lord Has Not Forsaken Isreal
You are reading Today’s Scripture Union Daily Guide for Friday 4th December 2020. Be inspired by today’s reading. God bless you!
TOPIC: THE LORD HAS NOT FORSAKEN ISREAL
Opening Prayer: Dear Lord, I pray that you order my steps today through your word as I meditate on it.
Scripture: Jeremiah 51:1–24
• What does the passage teach about God the Father, God the Son or God the Holy Spirit?
• Is there any warning for me to heed?
MESSAGE: Scripture Union Daily Guide 4th December 2020
In today’s passage (vv.1–2), we see the severe action that God will take against Babylon. God would destroy Babylon as a sign that he had not forsaken Israel and Judah despite their guilt (v.5).
The popular vv.20–23 can refer to a) Israel as a nation to promote godliness, b) Cyrus as instrument to destroy Babylon, or c) Babylon who has been used by God to inflict punishment on nations that disobeyed him (v.7). Babylon evidently went beyond her mandate even to the extent of desecrating the Temple (v.11).
The Babylonian’s destruction of the Temple was so thorough, the intention was clear, that they wanted it to be both physically and ritually unusable (see Psalms 74:4, 6–7). Sudden, not gradual, destruction became therefore her allotted portion. In contrast to the distress of Babylon, we see Israel rejoicing for being restored (vv.5, 10).
Vv.15–19, in describing the attributes of God, makes us accept without hesitation that his judgment is right, just and perfect. What a comfortable thought that despite our unworthiness, once we have received Jesus Christ as our personal Saviour and Lord, he never forsakes us. Meditate on Hebrews 13:5–6; Isaiah 49:15,16.
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• And So? Rejoice that you have such a Saviour. Then, resolve to obey him in all things and live to show your appreciation of his mercies on a continuing basis.
• Thank you, Lord Jesus, for loving me with everlasting love.
• Thank God for Scripture Union and other organizations that produce Christian materials to understand the needs of the time and meet them.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Deuteronomy 28:11
Read The Bible In One Year: 2 Chron. 34–36; Luke 11 :29–54
Thank you for reading Today’s Scripture Union Daily Guide 4th December 2020 – The Lord Has Not Forsaken Isreal