Anglican Daily Fountain 23 January 2023 (Devotional Today)
Welcome to Today’s Daily Fountain Devotional of the Anglican Church of Nigeria. Daily Fountain is a daily reading devotional for all Anglicans and Non-Anglicans to read, study, share and discuss the Word of God on a daily basis.
TODAY’S TOPIC: CHANGE YOUR GARMENT
TEXT: Genesis 35:1-15(NKJV)
1. Then God said to Jacob, “Arise, go up to Bethel and dwell there; and make an altar there to God, who appeared to you when you fled from the face of Esau your brother.”
2. And Jacob said to his household and to all who [were] with him, “Put away the foreign gods that [are] among you, purify yourselves, and change your garments.
3. “Then let us arise and go up to Bethel; and I will make an altar there to God, who answered me in the day of my distress and has been with me in the way which I have gone.”
4. So they gave Jacob all the foreign gods which [were] in their hands, and the earrings which [were] in their ears; and Jacob hid them under the terebinth tree which [was] by Shechem.
5. And they journeyed, and the terror of God was upon the cities that [were] all around them, and they did not pursue the sons of Jacob.
6. So Jacob came to Luz (that [is,] Bethel), which [is] in the land of Canaan, he and all the people who [were] with him.
7. And he built an altar there and called the place El Bethel, because there God appeared to him when he fled from the face of his brother.
8. Now Deborah, Rebekah’s nurse, died, and she was buried below Bethel under the terebinth tree. So the name of it was called Allon Bachuth.
9. Then God appeared to Jacob again, when he came from Padan Aram, and blessed him.
10. And God said to him, “Your name [is] Jacob; your name shall not be called Jacob anymore, but Israel shall be your name.” So He called his name Israel.
11. Also God said to him: “I [am] God Almighty. Be fruitful and multiply; a nation and a company of nations shall proceed from you, and kings shall come from your body.
12. “The land which I gave Abraham and Isaac I give to you; and to your descendants after you I give this land.”
13. Then God went up from him in the place where He talked with him.
14. So Jacob set up a pillar in the place where He talked with him, a pillar of stone; and he poured a drink offering on it, and he poured oil on it.
15. And Jacob called the name of the place where God spoke with him, Bethel.
- Dr. Charles Stanley 20 January 2023 In Touch Daily Devotional
- January 20, 2023 Your Daily Bible Verse for Friday
- 20 January 2023 UCB Word For Today Devotional
Anglican Daily Fountain 23rd January 2023 STUDY:
God told Jacob to return and live in Bethel. Before they left, Jacob asked his family members and all that were with him to put away the foreign gods they had with them, purify themselves and change their garments. Jacob acknowledged that God answered him when he was in trouble; he therefore intended to build an altar for Him at Bethel. On reaching Bethel God appeared to Jacob, changed his name to Israel and blessed him and his descendants.
If we must worship God, we must first put away the strange gods such as love of money, covetousness, idolatry, greed, cheating, bribery, etc. We must purify ourselves by removing lust, sexual immorality and all other defilements. We must indeed have a change of the garment of attitude to sin and live unto righteousness. Think and identify the various mercies and deliverances God showed you last year. Can you reciprocate this love this year by testifying, praising and thanking the Lord? If not for God’s mercies, you may not be alive today.
If you do not have any material things with which to appreciate Him, your sincere worship and appreciation of His goodness will suffice. Decide to seek God today.
PRAYER: Loving Father, may you wash me in the blood of Jesus and change me.