Daily Guide 28th January 2024 || Scripture Union Devotional
Scripture Union Daily Guide 28 January 2024 (Sunday)
Do You Know That? Daily Guide Reading is published by Scripture Union Press & Books Ltd, an arm of Scripture Union Nigeria. Daily Guide is a true nondenominational, interdenominational Christian Bible engagement/reading aid – meditate on the Bible without denominational colorations. May the Lord bless you as you study!
TODAY’S TOPIC: PRIDE GOES BEFORE A FALL
Opening Prayer: Dear Lord, I request that you help me to encounter you as I meditate on your word.
SCRIPTURE: AMOS 6:1-14
Question(s) for Reflection
• Q5: Is there any warning for me to heed?
Outline For Scripture Union Daily Guide 28th January 2024
The nation of Israel is so blinded by her pride that she can find no fault in herself. She claimed to be the first among nations (v.1) and boasted about her prosperity (v.2). By their lawlessness, they hastened the reign of terror (v.3); were indifferent to the plight of others (v.6b) but lived in luxury (vs.4-6a). However, just as they considered themselves the ‘first’ in everything, they will be among the first to go into exile (v.7).
What did God think of Israel? Again, their pride (v.8), their moral indifference in making justice the poison instead of the preservative of society (v.12), and their useless military pursuits which led them to abandon strength of character and instead boast of the strength of arms (v.13) incurred the wrath and judgment of God (vs.8b,9&14).
Note that the social defect of the rich lording it over the poor, and the religious defect of turning away from God, is also true in many places today. Think of the many ways “justice has been turned into poison and the fruit of righteousness into bitterness” in your community; and pray that God will use you and others to redress issues.
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
Wherefore should man, frail child of clay
1. Wherefore should man, frail child of clay,
Who, from the cradle to the shroud,
Lives but the insect of a day—
Oh why should mortal man be proud?
2. His brightest visions just appear,
Then vanish, and no more are found:
The stateliest pile his pride can rear,
A breath may level with the ground.
3. By doubts perplexed, in error lost,
With trembling step he seeks his way:
How vain, of wisdom’s gift the boast!
Of reason’s lamp, how faint the ray!
4. Follies and crimes, a countless sum,
Are crowded in life’s little span:
How ill, alas, does pride become
That erring, guilty creature, man!
5. God of my life! Father divine!
Give me a meek and lowly mind:
In modest worth oh let me shine,
And peace in humble virtue find.
Lord, give me the boldness to speak out for true justice in my community.
Offer a prayer of faith in line with Psalms 69:30
“I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify him with thanksgiving.”
One-Year Bible Reading Plan
Daily Bible Reading Plan: Day 28 – Genesis 46-4
NATIONAL PRAYER BULLETIN JANUARY 28, 2024
THE NATIONAL VICE CHAIRMAN
He who called you is faithful, He also will do it. 1Thess 5:24
THANK GOD FOR:
• The life of SU National Vice – Chairman, Prof. Lanre Ipinmoroti
• The mercy of God upon his life and family
• His commitment to the work of SU
• The grace of God to abound in him as the Holy Spirit continues to empower and strengthen him for the work
• Increase in his zeal to serve God more acceptably
• He will be distinguished more and more in his place of work
• Provision and protection of God over his life and family.