Daily Guide 4 February 2024 || Scripture Union Devotional
Scripture Union Daily Guide 4th February 2024 (Sunday)
Do You Know That? Daily Guide Reading is published by Scripture Union Press & Books Ltd, an arm of Scripture Union Nigeria. Daily Guide is a true nondenominational, interdenominational Christian Bible engagement/reading aid – meditate on the Bible without denominational colorations. May the Lord bless you as you study!
TODAY’S TOPIC: RIGHT JUDGEMENT
Opening Prayer: Grant me grace dear Lord to apply what you will teach me today as I read this passage.
SCRIPTURE: JOHN 7:14-24
Question(s) for Reflection
• Q2: Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• Q5: Is there any warning for me to heed?
Outline For Scripture Union Daily Guide 4 February 2024
The Jews marvelled at Jesus’ teaching, but how did they respond when Jesus tried to explain the source of His authority and teachings to them (v.20)? Today, so many people, like the Jews, also appreciate the teachings of Christ but never believe in Him. Their eyes have been blinded by Satan so they cannot see the light of the gospel of salvation. It is not enough to marvel or to appreciate the teachings of Christ; we must believe that He is the Saviour (Acts 4:12) and His words are eternal life (John 6:68).
Notice the warning Jesus gave to the Jews in v.24. How does it apply to us today? The Jews and their religious leaders were judging Christ’s teachings and actions with outward conformity to the laws of Moses. Sometimes we also behave like the Jews; we judge others based on external conformity to our church dogmas and man-made rules. From Jesus’ explanation in vs.16-19, how can we judge whether people (preachers) are genuine or not? Outward appearance without the right motive, of glorifying God amounts to hypocrisy (vs.22-24). Glorifying God rather than self should be our overriding motive for serving God.
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
By Simple Faith
1. Tis simple faith that breaks the power
And sets us free from sin,
’Tis simple faith unlocks the gate
Of Heav’n and lets us in.
Fully believing, always receiving,
Blessing we ask of the Lord;
Gifts without measure,
Poured from His treasure—
Answers to faith in His word.
2. Just simple faith in Christ will save
The humblest trembling soul;
There’s none so poor, and none so sick,
But He will make them whole.
3. By simple faith we bring to Him,
Not wondrous words of prayer,
But humbly bring a contrite heart,
And trust, and leave it there.
4. Thus simple faith and perfect love
Shall lift my soul so high,
’Twill give a crown the stars above,
A home beyond the sky.
Dear heavenly Father, help me to seek your glory rather than mine in everything I do.
Offer a prayer of faith in line with Numbers 14:17
“And now, I beseech thee, let the power of my Lord be great, according as thou hast spoken, saying,”
One-Year Bible Reading Plan
Daily Bible Reading Plan: Day 35 – Exodus 16-18
NATIONAL PRAYER BULLETIN FEBRUARY 4, 2024
SAFETY ON OUR ROADS
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil ….
THANK GOD FOR:
• His protection over our lives as we daily travel on many of the terrible and deadly roads in our country.
• Safety of our lives from the hands of evil men.
• Safe trips of our leaders as they travel back to their various destinations.
• The security of SU families as we daily move from one location to another.
• The desires of our hearts to be granted unto us.
• Our various fellowships today, that the Lord releases his glory in our midst.