Open Heaven 2 March 2019 Devotional – Focusing On Jesus 2 written by Pastor E. A. Adeboye
TOPIC: Focusing On Jesus 2
“Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:” – (Philippians 2:5).
READ: Hebrews 2:9-3:1 (KJV)
9. But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
10. For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.
11. For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one; for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,
12. Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee.
13. And again, I will put my trust in him. And again, Behold I and the children which God hath given me.
14. Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;
15. And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.
16. For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.
17. Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
18. For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.
1. Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;
MESSAGE – Open Heaven 2 March 2019 Devotional:
Yesterday, we started considering the all-important topic of focusing our attention on Jesus Christ, and we saw some of the reasons why we need to fix our eyes on Him while we journey through the wilderness of this world. Today, we shall be reflecting on some of the benefits of looking unto Jesus.
“For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.” – Hebrews 4:15
One of the reasons why our Lord took on the form of a man was to lay down a pattern of life that would always serve as a perfect example for us to look up to. Although He experienced everything we go through as humans, He triumphed over all. Following His example will therefore cause us to triumph over every trial and temptation we will face in this world. He is the only human figure we can completely pattern our lives after and still live acceptably before the Almighty Father. One virtue of His that we must definitely follow is the virtue of endurance in the face of trials and temptations. The Holy Spirit counsels us to practise this virtue in order to avoid experiencing weariness in our soul and spirit. Speaking in Hebrews 12:3, He said:
“For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.”
Open Heaven 2 March 2019 Devotional – Focusing On Jesus 2
When we are focused on living as Christ lived, we would not be deterred by what the ungodly do to us. Our Lord says to us in John 15:18-19:
“If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.”
Don’t be discouraged when your boss maltreats you because you refuse to sleep with him based on your Christian conviction, or when your colleagues hate you because you refuse to go along with their plan to steal from the company. You have already been forewarned of their hostility by the Master, who Himself also endured the “contradiction of sinners”. Lastly, we must focus on Jesus because He is our role model in leadership, giving and love. He established His leadership by serving us, and He gave us His very best by laying down His life as a ransom for our salvation (John 13:1?-17, John 10:10?-18). As you begin to focus your gaze upon Jesus from today, I pray that God will help you in Jesus’ Name.
KEY POINT: We are commanded to look up to Jesus and not to any other person or institution.
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: Acts 19-20, Isaiah 51:4-16
HYMNAL: Hymn 2 – Oh Jesus, I have promised
1. Oh Jesus, I have promised
To serve Thee to the end;
Be Thou for ever near me,
My Master and my Friend:
I shall not fear the battle
If Thou art by my side,
Nor wander from the pathway
If Thou wilt be my Guide.
2. Oh let me feel Thee near me;
The world is ever near;
I see the sights that dazzle,
The tempting sounds I hear;
My foes are ever near me,
Around me and within;
But, Jesus, draw Thou nearer,
And shield my soul from sin.
3. Oh let me hear Thee speaking
In accents clear and still,
Above the storms of passion,
The murmurs of self-will;
O speak to reassure me,
To hasten or control;
O speak and make me listen,
Thou Guardian of my soul.
4. Oh Jesus, Thou hast promised
To all who follow Thee,
That where Thou art in Glory
There shall Thy servant be;
And, Jesus, I have promised
To serve Thee to the end;
O give me grace to follow
My Master and my Friend
5. Oh, let me see Thy footmarks,
And in them plant mine own;
My hope to follow duly
Is in Thy strength alone.
Oh, guide me, call me, drawn me,
Uphold me to the end;
And then to rest receive me,
My Savior and my Friend.
Thanks for reading Open Heaven 2nd March 2019 Devotional – Focusing On Jesus 2 by Pastor E. A. Adeboye. Please share with others. God bless you.