RCCG Sunday School Teacher’s Manual 17 October 2021 – Beatitudes (Lesson 7)
Read RCCG Sunday School Manual for TEACHERS, Today Sunday 17 October 2021 Lesson 7 by Pastor E. A. Adeboye
17 October 2021 RCCG Sunday School Teacher’s Manual – Beatitudes
RCCG SUNDAY SCHOOL TEACHERS’ MANUAL
SUNDAY 17TH OF OCTOBER, 2021
LESSON SEVEN (07)
TOPIC: BEATITUDES: THE MEEK AND THE HUNGRY
RCCG Sunday School Manual 17th October 2021 Teacher’s Copy
OPENING PRAYER: Father please make my life beautiful inside-out.
MEMORY VERSE: “The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the LORD that seek him: your heart shall live for ever.” Psalms 22:26. (RCCG Sunday School Teacher’s Manual for 17 October 2021 | Lesson 7)
BIBLE PASSAGE: Matthew 5:5-6
Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
INTRODUCTION: The beatitudes describe the ideal disciple and his rewards, both present and future. Having discovered that the beatitudes are a series of eight blessings spoken by Jesus in Matthew 5, we shall do some exposition on verses 5 and 6 in this study.
17TH OCTOBER 2021 SUNDAY SCHOOL MANUAL FOR TEACHER (LESSON 7)
TEXT REVIEW: Matthew 5:1-4.
Jesus’ Christ further made clear the promises if God for the meek and for those who thirst and hunger righteousness as follows:
a. Blessed are……….V5a.
b. Blessed are…………..V6a.
LESSON OUTLINE 1: BLESSED ARE THE MEEK
‘Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth’ (Matthew 5:5).
• Question 1: What does it mean to be meek?
• Answer: The word ‘meek, from the original Greek language ‘praus’ refers to mildness, gentleness of spirit or humility. It was used to describe ‘reining in a stallion’. It is the idea of a horse being controlled by a bit and bridle. The horse is choosing to submit to authority. Therefore meekness is:
i. A humble attitude that expresses itself in the patient endurance of offenses.
ii. Humility toward God and toward others.
ii. Having the right or the power to do something but refraining, for the benefit of someone else
iv. Power under control RCCG Sunday School Teacher’s Manual 17th October 2021 | Lesson 7
• Question 2: Is meekness a sign of weakness?
• Answer: Meekness is not weakness. This is because
i. A weak person cannot do anything (or fight back) but a meek person, on the other hand, can do something (or fight back) but chooses not to (Prov.16:32; Prov. 25:28).
ii. Being too hasty in word and deed are possibly two of the most frequent weaknesses in people. Therefore, a meek person would consider his actions before he acts hastily (James 1:12, 21; James 3:13).
• Question 3: Are there biblical examples of meek people?
• Answer: The cultivation of this spirit is enjoined (Col. 3:12; 1Tim. 6:11; Zeph. 2:3) and is exemplified in Christ (Matt. 11:29), Abraham (Gen. 13:8-12; 16:5-6) Moses (Num. 12:3), David (Zech. 12:8; 2 Sam 16:10,12), and Paul (1 Cor. 9:19).
• Question 4: What are the peculiar promises made to the meek?
• Answer: The humble would receive far greater than the arrogant and prideful (Matt. 5:5).
ii. Not only do the meek enjoy more of life on earth because of their ability to be content, but they will possess the earth after Jesus’ return and triumphant entry.
iii. The meek are blessed
CLASS ACTIVITY 1: Class should discuss why meekness is getting unpopular among Christians these days.
LESSON OUTLINE 2: BLESSED ARE THOSE
WHO HUNGER AND THIRST
Blessed are they who hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled’ (Matt. 5:6).
• Question 1: What does it mean to hunger and thirst after righteousness?
• Answer: An ardent desire for anything is often represented in the Scriptures by hunger and thirst (Ps. 42:1).
ii. As the body has its natural appetites of hunger and thirst for the food and drink suited to its nourishment, so has the soul. Ps. 63:1-2
iii. When the soul begins to hunger and thirst after righteousness or holiness, which is its proper food, we know that it must be purified by the Holy Spirit, and be made a partaker of that living bread (John.7:37-39), or perish everlastingly.
iv. A desire for the blessings of pardon and peace, a deep sense of sin and want, and wretchedness is also represented by thirsting (Isaiah 55:1-2)
• Question 2: What are the promises of God for those who hunger and thirst after righteousness?
Answer: i. Those who hunger and thirst, after the full salvation of God, will be blessed, satisfied and well-fed.
ii. Those that are lost sinners and strongly desire to be holy shall be filled.
iii. Christ has made provision to satisfy all who truly desire to be holy (John.4:14; John.6:35; Ps.17:15).
iv. Those that hunger and thirst after righteousness are blessed.
CLASS ACTIVITY 2: Class should discuss why people are not hungry and thirsty for God today.
SUMMARY: God will give the earth to the meek and will satisfy the hungry and thirsty souls.
CONCLUSION: If you are meek, you will be satisfied with the blessings of God on earth and filled with heavenly blessings.
EVALUATION: Students should mention some promises made to the meek.
CLOSING PRAYER: Father, I receive the grace to be meek, thirst and hunger for You in Jesus name.
ASSIGNMENT: Students should mention five (5) people who showed exemplary hunger and thirst for righteousness in the Bible. Give Bible references.
- RCCG Sunday School Teacher’s Manual for 17 October 2021 | Lesson 7
SUNDAY SCHOOL MANUAL 17 OCT. 2021 – HYMN
1. O Sunday School, on P ppl Lord’s day
O How I love Thee well,
I am happy, it makes me glad
To rejoice at Thy birth.
2. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Thy friendship suits me well,
Both young and old will sing Thy song,
We long for Sunday School.
3. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Christ was Thy first teacher,
The Holy Spirit, great teacher,
Does manifest in thee.
4. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
This testimony is sure,
That God, the Father Almighty,
Poured His blessing on Thee.
5. Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Though the sun be so bright,
Or if the clouds be black with rain,
I’ll be in Sunday School.
6. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
I rejoice to see thee,
Will thou pass over me today
Without my being blest.
- RCCG Sunday School Teacher’s Manual 10 October 2021 – Lesson 6
- RCCG Sunday School Student’s Manual 10 October 2021 (Lesson 6)