Scripture Union Daily Guide 29th January 2024 || Amos Intercedes for Israel
Scripture Union Daily Guide 29 January 2024 (Monday)
Do You Know That? Daily Guide Reading is published by Scripture Union Press & Books Ltd, an arm of Scripture Union Nigeria. Daily Guide is a true nondenominational, interdenominational Christian Bible engagement/reading aid – meditate on the Bible without denominational colorations. May the Lord bless you as you study!
TODAY’S TOPIC: AMOS INTERCEDES FOR ISRAEL
Opening Prayer: Oh Lord, grant me spiritual insight into the truth of your word as I study it.
SCRIPTURE: AMOS 7:1-17
Question(s) for Reflection
• Q7: What truth is God revealing to me in this passage?
Outline For Scripture Union Daily Guide 29 January 2024
Amos successfully intercedes against the two forms of judgment of utter destruction (vs.1-3, 4-6) for the people of Israel. This shows that although God is a righteous God, He loves us dearly. Amos, however, does not intercede for the third form of judgment (vs.7-9). Here the Lord appears as the Master Builder, to inspect the work done by His workers. He had provided a plumbline to ensure the building of a true, straight wall. He came to test it using the same plumbline.
The plumbline depicts the straight edge of God’s law. Using it, God’s people were to build upright lives and an upright society; and He will judge them by it. To possess the law of God and thus the knowledge of His will, God’s people were obliged to obey it. The Lord now singles out specific areas for judgment (v.9), unlike the judgments of vs.1-6.
Amos had cause to show his credentials for proclaiming God’s message (vs.14-15). Has God called you to perform a specific, sometimes unpleasant task?
Anyone can become an intercessor before God. Are you willing to become an intercessor? You can join a group of intercessors for a specific purpose.
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
Dear Lord, enable me to be an intercessor and to stand in the gap for my family and nation.
Offer a prayer of faith in line with Deuteronomy 11:15
“And I will send grass in thy fields for thy cattle, that thou mayest eat and be full.”
One-Year Bible Reading Plan
Daily Bible Reading Plan: Day 29 – Genesis 48-50
NATIONAL PRAYER BULLETIN JANUARY 29, 2024
NATIONAL COUNCIL SECRETARY AND ASSISTANT
God is our refuge and strength; a very present help in trouble
THANK GOD FOR:
• The National Council Secretary, Dr Emma Upkai Kalu and the Assistant, Prof Ugo Orji, for their commitment to the work of God in SU
• Strength and grace to write minutes and to make them available to Council members before any meeting
• Grace for alertness during meetings
• God’s sustenance on their physical, spiritual and mental well-being
• God’s provision and protection on their lives and families.
• Any ill health or spiritual tiredness that will frustrate their spiritual growth.