Scripture Union Daily Guide 5th April 2021 – A Good Name Is Better Than Riches
TOPIC: A GOOD NAME IS BETTER THAN RICHES ( Read Scripture Union Daily Guide for 4th April 2021)
OPENING PRAYER: Let me know more of you today dear Lord as I meditate on your word.
SCRIPTURE: Proverbs 22:1-16
Question(s) for Reflection:
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• Is there any warning for me to heed?
OUTLINE: SCRIPTURE UNION DAILY GUIDE 5TH APRIL 2021
Each verse in this passage raises a strong issue. V.1 emphasizes that a good name is to be esteemed more than silver or gold. Someone put it in an interesting way like this, “Some people are so poor that the only thing they have is money”. Unfortunately, many people including very active church people do not care about having a good name, especially when they want to get a financial benefit.
V.6 urges parents to train their children in such a way that they will keep strictly to it as they grow. Sometimes we try to teach children but in a very casual manner and when the wind of evil blows hard, they are unable to stand. Let’s teach them from the Bible and by the way we live. Teach them also to engage the word of God personally on a regular basis.
Consider v.15 also. Take note of warnings outlined in vs.5,7,8 & 16. Also note the areas encouraged in vs.4,9 and 11. Verse 13 clearly brings out one of the symptoms of lazy people; they like giving excuses for failing to take action.
• Reflection: Is the spiritual investment you are making in your children or young people around you enough to sustain them in adulthood?
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Help me, Lord, to see the development of character as a great business.
• Thank God for His love in preserving His church in the face of intense persecution in parts of the world such as Northern Nigeria and many Islamic nations.
Offer a prayer of faith in line with Luke 24:50-51
Bible in One Year: Lev. 4-5; Heb. 7
Thank you for reading Today’s Scripture Union Daily Guide 5th April 2021 for Monday. God bless you!