Scripture Union Daily Guide 9th October 2020
TOPIC: HUMBLE AND CONTRITE SPIRIT
Opening Prayer: May my heart, O Lord, be receptive to your word as I meditate on it.
Scripture: 2 Samuel 24:15-25
• What does the passage teach about God the Father, God the Son or God the Holy Spirit?
• Is there any warning for me to heed?
MESSAGE: Scripture Union Daily Guide 9th October 2020
God’s holiness and justice must never be taken for granted as we seek to walk with him. David’s sin brought disastrous consequences on the Israelites. Imagine seventy thousand people dying on a single day through one rash decision (v.15). We must pray for God–fearing leaders in the land.
Sometimes, decisions like this, taken by leaders in the church or society, do bring untold sufferings to innocent people. God loves us enough to chastise and discipline us as we see in this passage but what can we learn from v.16? Read Deuteronomy 8:5; Proverbs 3:11,12 and identify fatherhood as painted by God.
Many parents fail to show what true love is when they fail to discipline their children who insist on going their own way. What do you learn from David’s statement in v.17? Following the recognition of his sin, David was prompt to obey the instructions of prophet Gad (v.18).
Notice here that prompt obedience is a sure sign of genuine repentance (v.19). Araunah was ready to offer the land and oxen for David to sacrifice to the Lord and avert the punishment but David’s refusal, (v.24) shows his deep repentance and acceptance of personal responsibility for the disaster.
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Think Spot: How ready are you to accept personal responsibility with contrition for any known sin? See Psalm 51:17; Isaiah 57:15.
• Lord, keep me constantly alert spiritually so that I may not bring unnecessary problems upon others by my action.
• Pray against harmful books and multimedia materials that masquerade as Christian materials.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Isaiah 43:1
Read The Bible In One Year: Song of Sol. 1-3; John 21
Thank you for reading Today’s Scripture Union Daily Guide 9th October 2020 – Humble And Contrite Spirit