Open Heaven 26 February 2019 – Born Again For A Purpose written by Pastor E. A. Adeboye
TOPIC: Born Again For A Purpose
MEMORISE: “As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them.” – (Acts 13:2).
READ: Acts 9:1-6 (KJV) – Open Heaven 26 February 2019
1. And Saul, yet breathing out threatenings and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went unto the high priest,
2. And desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this way, whether they were men or women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem.
3. And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus; and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven;
4. And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?
5. And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest; it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
6. And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.
MESSAGE: Our God is a God of purpose, and everything He does fits into a grand purpose He has at the back of His mind. For this reason, He has both a general and a specific purpose for the life of everyone who becomes adopted into His family by being born again (Ephesians 1:5?,11). ‘Purpose’ is used here to mean the reason for which a thing is done or created, or the reason why something exists. According to the word of God, we are born again for the general purpose of manifesting and proclaiming the message of the gospel of Jesus Christ to all the nations of the world (1 Peter 2:9). We are also born again for a specific purpose that is revealed to each of us in the course of time (2 Timothy 1:9, Acts 26:16). It is also true that we are saved for the purpose of worship and service.
While it is great to have and discover one’s purpose, it is much more important to have the ability and resources to fulfil this purpose. Every human being seems to have some awareness of their abilities and limitations. When a person has the ability to undertake an assignment, he or she will respond to the assignment with confidence, but when confronted with a purpose that is beyond our capability, our natural response is fear and anxiety. Truthfully, God’s purpose for us will always be beyond what our own abilities can handle. However, we need not be discouraged by our inadequacies and personal weakness, because our weakness is not an obstacle before God. He can accomplish His purpose, “whether with many, or with them that have no power” (2 Chronicles 14:11). Open Heaven 26 February 2019 – Born Again For A Purpose
God’s purpose will be accomplished in any situation, regardless of personal weaknesses or limitations. He has chosen to work in this manner because He does not want anyone to glory in His presence, nor does He share His glory with anybody (1 Corinthians 1?:27?-29, Isaiah 42:8). He therefore specialises in using physically weak and inadequate people to confound and disposes giants, formidable enemies and great armies. He used young David, a first-timer at the war front, to overcome Goliath, the enormous champion of the Philistine army (1 Samuel 17). He used four unarmed leprous men to put to flight the whole Syrian army which had besieged Samaria for months (2 King 7:3-11). He also used ordinary people to dispossess the giant occupants of Canaan of their land (Deuteronomy 3?:12?-13). All these examples were made possible because God’s purpose is always carried out by the power of His Spirit, and this power is made perfect in human weakness (2 Corinthians 12:9). The power of God will work through you to accomplish the purpose of God in this generation in Jesus’ Name.
PRAYER POINT (Open Heaven 26 February 2019):
Father, please use me to accomplish great things in this generation in Jesus’ Name.
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: Acts 12-13, Isaiah 48
HYMNAL: Hymn 4 – Take my life, and let it be
1. Take my life, and let it be
Consecrated, Lord to Thee;
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise.
2. Take my hands, and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love;
Take my feet, and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee.
3. Take my voice and let me sing
Always, only, for my King;
Take my lips and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee.
4. Take my silver and my gold;
Not a mite would I withhold;
Take my intellect, and use
Every power as Thou shalt choose.
5. Take my will and make it Thine,
It shall be no longer mine:
Take my heart, it is Thine own;
It shall be Thy royal throne.
6. Take my love, my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure store;
Take myself, and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee.
Thanks for reading Open Heaven 26 February 2019 – Born Again For A Purpose by Pastor E. A. Adeboye. Please share with others!