Open Heaven December 1st 2019 – How A Christian Should Be Dressed, written by Pastor E. A. Adeboye
TOPIC: How A Christian Should Be Dressed
MEMORISE: “And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.” – (Ephesians 4:24)
READ: Colossians 3:5-12 (KJV)
5. Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry;
6. For which things’ sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience;
7. In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.
8. But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
9. Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;
10. And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him;
11. Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free; but Christ is all, and in all.
12. Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;
MESSAGE: Open Heaven December 1st 2019
The term ‘put on’ today’s memory verse is an instruction that is widely used in the Bible to mean ‘be dressed up’. God’s word commands all obedient children of God to be dressed up in certain ways spiritually and physically (Ephesians 6:11), (1 Peter 3:3). Modesty and purity are the hallmarks of our cultural heritage as Christians, and we are to protect this heritage in this world of sin and godlessness. Therefore, children of God are to ensure that modesty and purity are reflected in their physical appearance and spiritual lives.
I strongly believe that a person is usually addressed the way he or she is dressed. Moses was mistaken for an Egyptian because of the way he was dressed (Exodus 2:19-21). If you dress like a prostitute, you will be addressed as a prostitute (Proverbs 7:10). If you dress like a hoodlum, you will be taken for one.
Some good Christians choose to dress in ways that do not align with modesty and purity, and when others advise them to change their ways, they argue that a person’s preferred manner of dressing cannot in any way nullify their status as born again Christians. The truth of the matter is, it is one thing to be born again and another thing to submit to the authority of God through total obedience to His commandments.
Open Heaven December 1st 2019 by Pastor E. A. Adeboye
(1 John 2:3-4) says: “And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.”
The hallmark of a Christian is total compliance with God’s word. Many unbelievers are contending with God intentionally by refusing to accept Jesus as their Lord and Saviour, but some Christians are unintentionally contending with God out of sheer ignorance.
Those who claim to be born again Christians but are yet living in apparent disobedience to God’s word are in effect resisting or contending with Him. Romans 13:2 says:
“Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.”
It is foolish for anyone to contend with the Almighty God (Isaiah 45:9), as this is an exercise in futility that is bound to end in failure, disappointment and eternal regret. I pray that you will yield to the voice of the Holy Spirit today as He speaks to you on the need to change your mode of dressing to comply with God’s standard in Jesus’ Name.
Always judge your motive and ask the opinion of the Holy Spirit before choosing what to wear.
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
Psalm 57-63, Micah 5:7-6:8
Thanks for studying Open Heaven December 1st 2019 – How A Christian Should Be Dressed, written by Pastor E. A. Adeboye. Please share!