Scripture Union Daily Guide 1 June 2020
Topic: Peter enlightens the confused Crowd
Opening Prayer: Plant my steps in the sure promises of your word today, dear Lord.
Scripture: Acts 2: 14–21
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• Is there any promise for me to believe or hope for?
Outline: When the Holy Spirit descended on the disciples, he enabled them to speak languages they had never learnt (v.6). However, the strange manifestations caused confusion among a cross section of Jerusalem dwellers (vv.12–13). So, Peter, in the company of the other Apostles, addressed the crowd to enlighten them (v.14).
Today, many are still confused about manifestations of the Holy Spirit among believers and about many other Christian beliefs and practices. It is our responsibility to explain things to them, to clear their confusion as much as possible. Compare vv.14–16 with John 18:15–17 and take note of the boldness of Peter here. This is one of the benefits of the presence of the Holy Spirit in the life of a believer (see 1:8; 2 Timothy 1:7; Proverbs 28:1).
What lessons can we learn from vv.17–21? In order to enlighten those who are confused around us, we must study our Bible and understand it well. Peter shows that the Old Testament is still a valid and integral part of God’s Word and still applicable to us today, contrary to some people’s opinion.
• Reflection: How much of the Word of God do you have in your heart to help those around you?
• Dear heavenly Father, baptise me afresh in the Holy Spirit with power and boldness to be an effective witness for Christ. Use me to enlighten those who are confused about the gospel.
• Praise Him for His love in keeping our families together in unity, and in meeting our spiritual and material needs.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Psalm 4:1
Read the Bible in one Year
Hosea 5–8; Matt. 18:21–35
Scripture Union Daily Guide 1 June 2020 – Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God.