DCLM Daily Manna 7th August 2020 Devotional – Life’s Different Twists by Pastor W. F. Kumuyi
TODAY’S TOPIC: LIFE’S DIFFERENT TWISTS
KEY VERSE: “But now they that are younger than I have me in derision, whose fathers I would have disdained to have set with the dogs of my flock.” – (Job 30:1)
TEXT: Job 30:1-14
1. But now they that are younger than I have me in derision, whose fathers I would have disdained to have set with the dogs of my flock.
2. Yea, whereto might the strength of their hands profit me, in whom old age was perished?
3. For want and famine they were solitary; fleeing into the wilderness in former time desolate and waste.
4. Who cut up mallows by the bushes, and juniper roots for their meat.
5. They were driven forth from among men, (they cried after them as after a thief;)
6. To dwell in the clifts of the valleys, in caves of the earth, and in the rocks.
7. Among the bushes they brayed; under the nettles they were gathered together.
8. They were children of fools, yea, children of base men; they were viler than the earth.
9. And now am I their song, yea, I am their byword.
10. They abhor me, they flee far from me, and spare not to spit in my face.
11. Because he hath loosed my cord, and afflicted me, they have also let loose the bridle before me.
12. Upon my right hand rise the youth; they push away my feet, and they raise up against me the ways of their destruction.
13. They mar my path, they set forward my calamity, they have no helper.
14. They came upon me as a wide breaking in of waters; in the desolation they rolled themselves upon me.
MESSAGE: DCLM Daily Manna 7th August 2020 Devotional
A British publication once offered a prize for the best definition of a friend. Among the thousands of answers received were the following:”One who multiplies joys, divides grief, and whose honesty is inviolable.”“One who understands our silence.” “A volume of sympathy bound in cloth.”“A watch that beats true for all time and never runs down.” The winning definition reads:“A friend is the one who comes in when the whole world has gone out.”
From the text, Job focused our attention on his plight when all his acquaintances left him. He was a highly respected person in his day, being one of the richest persons in the region. Now that he was afflicted by this strange illness and having lost all his riches within a few hours in one day, he was abandoned by those who once benefited from his largeness. Such is life.
The people that once respected, honoured and reverenced him, now disrespected and even spat on his face. The poorest of the poor in society who should have been begging for food in front of his house, now had him in derision. The only friends who visited, came to condemn him.
This teaches us several lessons about life. First, things can change with regards to our status in society, either for good or evil. And when the unpredictable happens, we must find the grace to overcome the evil times. Secondly, public respect is very elastic. When the going is good, there are many friends who hang around and you become the song in the mouths of many overzealous praise singers. But when misfortune comes, the praise singers of today will turn mockers and jesters of tomorrow. Thirdly, we must understand that bad times do not last.
We must therefore, learn to trust God and keep hope alive when things turn the other way. Those who laugh at us today will rejoice with us tomorrow. Cheer up!
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Don’t trust the winds, they can change direction.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: Nehemiah 11-13
Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi is the Founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Christian Life Ministry situated at Kilometre 42 on the Lagos–Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria. He is the author of several books. Through DCLM Daily Manna Devotional reading, he has touched millions of people and has brought them closer to God.
Thanks for reading Today’s DCLM Daily Manna 7th August 2020 Devotional – Life’s Different Twists by Pastor W. F. Kumuyi. Please share this topic with other people.