Scripture Union Daily Guide 13th October 2020 Today Message
TOPIC: THE PAIN OF TRUE LOVE
Opening Prayer: May the meditation of my heart be acceptable unto you, O Lord as I read from your word.
Scripture: 2 Corinthians 1:23-2:4
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
MESSAGE: Scripture Union Daily Guide 13th October 2020
What reasons did Paul give for failing to pay the visit the Corinthian were expecting (1:23; 2:1–2)? The last time Paul visited Corinth, he had to exercise his leadership authority to take some disciplinary action. This had caused both him and the Corinthians pain.
Rather than visit the second time, he decided to write them a severe letter to put things right, hoping that his next visit would be a much more joyful one (2:3–4). He took this decision because of his deep love for them. What does this teach us about leadership responsibility among God’s people?
Is it possible to eliminate issues that cause hurt in our relationships? Love is an essential quality in all Christian relationships. But true love is not sentimental, ignoring the wrong or sweeping the problems under the carpet.
True love confronts those things that need to change, faces up to things which are wrong and, where necessary, rebukes those who fail. Demonstrating such love however causes pain.
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• So What? For our churches to be what God wants them to be, leaders must be ready to demonstrate tough love which affirms and encourages but which also confronts appropriately when occasion demands.
• Pray for wisdom for church leaders as they relate with their difficult members.
• Pray for yourself, not to take the grace of God in vain.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Psalm 18:2
Read The Bible In One Year: 1 Sam. 4–6; Eph. 4
Thank you for reading Today’s Scripture Union Daily Guide 13th October 2020 – The Pain Of True Love