Scripture Union Daily Guide 21st January 2021 – Debtors And Bondservants
You are reading Scripture Union Daily Guide Devotional for Today Thursday 21st January 2021. Be blessed and inspired by today’s reading.
TOPIC: DEBTORS AND BONDSERVANTS
Opening Prayer: Make my life oh Lord a reflection of you as I study your word.
Key Verse: Deuteronomy 15:1-23
Question(s) for Reflection:
• Is there any command for me to obey?
SCRIPTURE UNION DAILY GUIDE 21ST JANUARY 2021
Compare v.4 with v.11. God says there may not have to be poor people in the land, but in fact there will always be. Why do you think this is so? There are many reasons why people can be poor. Perhaps they are lazy, or perhaps they have been cheated and defrauded, or perhaps they have met with disasters beyond their ability to overcome.
Whatever the reason, their creditors are commanded to look on them with compassion, especially if they belong to the family of God, (vs.3, 7-8). In fact, every seventh year, all debts had to be cancelled in Israel. Notice God’s warning against wickedness to the poor (vv.9 – 10). Some are so poor that they sell themselves and their families as bondservants, perpetual slaves who work for the creditor and master until their debt is paid.
This can take years and years, but God insists that it should not be forever. They too are to be set free in the seventh year, (v.18).
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• So What? Compare v.3 with Galatians 6:10. How does this work out in your experience?
• Thank you, Lord Jesus, for setting me free from the bondage of sin. Please help me never to sell myself again into any form of slavery.
• Pray for Christians who are being persecuted as a result of their faith to have courage and perseverance. Pray for God,s speedy intervention and help.
Offer a prayer of faith in line with
• Isa. 1-2; Mark 1:1-22
Thank you for reading Today’s Scripture Union Daily Guide Devotional 21st January 2021 – Debtors And Bondservants. God bless you!