Open Heaven 29th March 2019 Devotional – Pleasant Surprises
Open Heaven 29th March 2019 Devotional – Pleasant Surprises written by Pastor E. A. Adeboye
TOPIC: Pleasant Surprises
MEMORISE: “And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.” – (Luke 24:36).
READ: Luke 24:13-36 (KJV) – Open Heaven 29th March 2019 Devotional
13. And, behold, two of them went that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was from Jerusalem about threescore furlongs.
14. And they talked together of all these things which had happened.
15. And it came to pass, that, while they communed together and reasoned, Jesus himself drew near, and went with them.
16. But their eyes were holden that they should not know him.
17. And he said unto them, What manner of communications are these that ye have one to another, as ye walk, and are sad?
18. And the one of them, whose name was Cleopas, answering said unto him, Art thou only a stranger in Jerusalem, and hast not known the things which are come to pass there in these days?
19. And he said unto them, What things? And they said unto him, Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, which was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people;
20. And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him.
21. But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel; and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done. Open Heaven 29th March 2019
22. Yea, and certain women also of our company made us astonished, which were early at the sepulchre;
23. And when they found not his body, they came, saying, that they had also seen a vision of angels, which said that he was alive.
24. And certain of them which were with us went to the sepulchre, and found it even so as the women had said; but him they saw not.
25. Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken;
26. Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?
27. And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
28. And they drew nigh unto the village, whither they went; and he made as though he would have gone further.
29. But they constrained him, saying, Abide with us; for it is toward evening, and the day is far spent. And he went in to tarry with them.
30. And it came to pass, as he sat at meat with them, he took bread, and blessed it, and brake, and gave to them.
31. And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight.
32. And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?
33. And they rose up the same hour, and returned to Jerusalem, and found the eleven gathered together, and them that were with them,
34. Saying, The Lord is risen indeed, and hath appeared to Simon.
35. And they told what things were done in the way, and how he was known of them in breaking of bread.
36. And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
MESSAGE: Open Heaven 29th March 2019 Devotional – Pleasant Surprises
Surprises come in different sizes and categories. Some surprises fall within our day to day activities, like receiving visitors you least expect. These are aptly described as surprise visit, and an example of this is Mary’s visit to her cousin Elizabeth (Luke 1:39?-44). There are pleasant surprises, such as when Abraham and Sarah were told at a very old age that their child of promise was about to come (Genesis 18:9?-14).
The announcement was so great and seemingly impossible that Sarah laughed in disbelief; yet, it was a pleasant surprise when God gave her the son He had promised (Genesis 21:6?-7). There are also unpleasant surprises, such as when you are betrayed by someone very close to you, like Absalom did to David, his loving father (2 Samuel 15:6?-14).
The disciples of Jesus Christ experienced pleasant surprises at a time when they thought all hope was lost for them. This is evident from the encounter two of them had on the road of Emmaus. As they journeyed, they spent their time lamenting their shattered hopes about Jesus. In Luke 24:21 they said:
“But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, today is the third day since these things were done.” Open Heaven 29th March 2019 Devotional – Pleasant Surprises
Meanwhile, a great and pleasant surprise had taken place in Jerusalem where they were coming from, when they just could not believe. Though they had been told of Christ’s resurrection before they embarked on the trip to Emmaus, they were still full of unbelief. The story seemed too good to be true! This is one of the characteristics of pleasant surprises occasioned by miracles. When the early visitors to the tomb of Jesus Christ were greeted with the news of His resurrection, they experienced this type of pleasant surprise. Matthew 28:8 captures their emotions in these words:
“And they departed quickly from the sepulchre with fear and great joy; and did run to bring his disciples word.”
As if that was not enough, those who took the news of the resurrection to others had not finished speaking when the Master Himself appeared to them all to confirm the news (Luke 24:36)!
In the same way, there is no adjective to qualify the type of surprise that results from the miracle of a baby being born by a woman without a womb. It is indeed pleasant to experience the impossible becoming possible in one’s life. Your pleasant surprises are coming your way this season in Jesus’ Name. All you need to do is to identify with the Great Miracle Worker, and He will work things out that will give you pleasant surprises in Jesus’ Name.
PRAYER POINT: Open Heaven 29th March 2019 Devotional
Father, do a new thing that will bring pleasant surprises to my life today in Jesus’ Name.
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: 1 Thessalonians 1-4, Jeremiah 7:8-26
HYMNAL: Hymn 1 – There shall be showers of blessing
1. There shall be showers of blessing;
This is the promise of love;
There shall be season refreshing,
Sent from the Saviour above.
Showers of blessing,
Showers of blessing we need;
Mercy drops round us are falling,
But for the showers we plead.
2. There shall be showers of blessing;
Precious reviving again;
Over the hills and the valleys,
Sound of abundance of rain.
3. There shall be showers of blessing;
Send them upon us, Oh Lord!
Grant to us now a refreshing;
Come and now honour Thy Word.
4. There shall be showers of blessing;
O that today they might fall,
Now, as to God, we’re confessing,
Now as on Jesus we call!
5. There shall be showers of blessing;
If we but trust and obey;
There shall be seasons refreshing,
If we let God have His way.
Thanks for reading Open Heaven 29th March 2019 Devotional – Pleasant Surprises by Pastor E. A. Adeboye.
Kindly Read Other Devotional Here