Scripture Union Daily Guide 1st April 2021 – The Mockery And Suffering of Jesus
TOPIC: THE MOCKERY AND SUFFERING OF JESUS
OPENING PRAYER: My dear heavenly Father, as I study your word, let it be a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.
SCRIPTURE: Matthew 27:27-44
Question(s) for Reflection:
• What does the passage teach about God the Father, God the Son or God the Holy Spirit?
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
SCRIPTURE UNION DAILY GUIDE 1ST APRIL 2021 OUTLINE:
Have you ever been accused of what you have not done? How did you feel? Read vs.27-31, 34 and observe the ways the Roman soldiers mocked Jesus. Notice that the mockery was not just for some few minutes! The entire regiment taunted Him until they became tired. How much do you appreciate what Jesus went through for you? Condemned prisoners had to carry their own crosses to the execution site.
But weakened from the mockery and beatings He had gone through; Jesus was physically unable to carry His cross any farther (vs.32-33). Though not by compulsion, Jesus also demand that as His disciples, we must carry our cross and follow Him (Matthew 16:24-26). How much are you willing to suffer for Him, if need be? What other aspects of Jesus’ suffering do you notice in vs.35-44 (cf. Mark 15:25-32)?
Wine mixed with gall (v34) was generally used as a narcotic or tranquilizer, to reduce pain, but Jesus refused to drink it. He suffered with full consciousness and a clear mind purposely to purchase our redemption.
• So what? Jesus suffered and went to the cross for you? What is your response to such great love?
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Dear Lord, thank you for enduring shame and mockery for my sake. Help me not to deny you because of shame and mockery.
• Pray to walk in the power that raised Jesus from the dead.
Offer a prayer of faith in line with Matthew 25:21
• Prov. 25-26; Heb. 3
Thank you for reading Today’s Scripture Union Daily Guide 1st April 2021. God bless you!